11 Tips To Prepare Before LASIK
Are you getting worried about your upcoming LASIK procedure? Have you been thinking about all the things you need to do to prepare?
You should feel excited about getting LASIK, instead of worried! If you’re nervous, it’s understandable. There’s an easy solution for feeling more relaxed and knowing what to expect.
Get prepared and know what’s coming ahead of time. This is a great way to quell any of your fears that may be holding you back! Keep reading for 11 tips to prepare before LASIK!
One Month Before Surgery
Make sure to listen to your doctor and follow their pre-surgery list of things to do.
1. If you use gas permeable contact lenses, most doctors recommend that you stop using them within a month before LASIK. This specific type of lens could cause major modifications to your cornea.
2. Most surgeons will tell you to stop using soft contacts about two weeks before your surgery is scheduled. It is important to follow this instruction to ensure your corneas are stable and do not change.
3. If you have a job, make sure you request time off. After LASIK, you’ll need to give your eyes enough time to heal.
The best thing you can do is rest. Talk with your surgeon to determine how many days they recommend taking off.
4. Take extra good care of yourself. Start drinking more water, so your eyes are hydrated, and try to get more sleep.
One Day Before Surgery
5. Figure out how you’re getting home after LASIK. You cannot drive yourself home, so make sure you have a friend or family member that can drive you there and back.
After a few days, your vision should adjust. Your surgeon will let you know when you are cleared to drive again.
6. Do not wear any makeup, creams, perfumes, or lotions. These products can result in particles getting in your eyes.
Before your procedure, your eyes must be clean! Some surgeons will require you to wash your eyes to prevent any chances of infection.
7. Determine how you are going to pay for your LASIK procedure. Most practices let you pre-pay or set up another payment method for the surgery.
You can also pay for LASIK using financing that makes it more affordable.
8. Write down any questions you have for your surgeon. Ask them before you have LASIK.
This is a great way to calm any last-minute nerves you may have while setting realistic expectations for the procedure and your results.
Day of LASIK
9. Be calm. It is very common to be anxious before a surgery like LASIK. If you’re really nervous, let your surgeon know.
They can give you something to relax you, like Valium.
10. Eat something small before your procedure. Also, most surgeons will let you take any normal prescriptions.
11. Dress in comfortable and casual clothing. You want to be as comfortable as possible during and after LASIK.
You will not want to change when you get home. Avoid any fabrics that could shed as you could get fibers in your eyes.
It is very important to be as prepared as possible before you have LASIK. By following these steps, you will feel more relaxed and prepared for your surgery and the recovery process.
Are you ready to have LASIK eye surgery? Schedule your LASIK consultation with one of the eye doctors at Ginsberg Eye in Naples, FL today! LASIK will change your life!